Our TBP Talent babe and travel addict, Jamie Rockers, recently took a trip of a lifetime to The Cayman Islands giving us serious FOMO! After stalking her stunning travel snaps on Insta, we had to find out Jamie's travel secrets. Keep reading to find out Jamie's top 10 tips on how to stay gorgeous (and healthy!) while travelling.
Travel – most people love it right? There is nothing like jet-setting off to a foreign land with the anticipation of a long awaited holiday. I’m a bit of a travel addict and have lived in five countries (Argentina, Australia, Japan (four years), America and the U.K.) and travelled extensively to 50+ (this includes a 2 month backpacking around China, a month in Vietnam exploring the country from top to bottom, travelling across Russia on the Trans-Siberian train). I’ve been very fortunate to travel to some incredible places and I’ve made it a priority to make travel a key part of my life. However I’ve definitely picked up a few tips along the way as not only am I a travel addict but also a beauty addict. I love discovering new tips and tricks from around the world and have picked up my own along the way. Here’s my top ten!
- Facial Mist: I ALWAYS take a facial spritz or mist onto the plane with me for long-haul flights. My skin gets so dehydrated on flights – I can literally feel the moisture levels being sucked out of my body as the hours tick by on a long flight. A good facial spritz is key – it refreshes skin and gives your skin a much needed drink. I love Jurlique’s Rosewater Balancing Mist or Pixi Vitamin Wakeup Mist while travelling – you can spray either directly on the face while travelling for a hydration boost or spritz into hands and gently pat into skin like a toner. I try to spritz every two hours if I’m not sleeping that is! The aromatherapy benefits are also great for a mental boost as many facial mists contain essential oils.
- Water: Talking about hydration I cannot get by without drinking lots and lots of water on a flight. I’m a nervous flier so I admit that I like to have a glass of red wine or two on a flight but I definitely make sure to carry 2L of water on board for a long-haul. There is nothing worse than being parched and not being able to find a flight attendant! You will feel so much better for doing it and your body will thank you.
- Hand Cream: My hands get so dry on a flight you would mistake them for the surface of a cracked desert. I always carry a hand cream with me when travelling because I wash my hands frequently and washing my hands really dries my skin out. I love Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Hand Therapy in the travel size – it’s pretty and keeps hands hydrated without feeling greasy.
- Antibacterial Gel – it’s not glamourous but Bath & Body Works (American brand) makes the best varieties that both smell and look good as well as blasting germs. Washing hands becomes even more important on a holiday because nothing is going to ruin a trip more than food poisoning (been there, done that – those fish tacos in Mexico, that fermented goat’s milk in Mongolia and the escargot on the beach in Vietnam – yes, I’m looking at you). There is really nothing worse than being ill when travelling so I always carry around an antibacterial gel. When you are abroad you are exposed to new germs and new people and travelling takes a toll on the immune system. If you can’t wash your hands at least use some anti-bac!
- Hat – it seems an unlikely candidate but a hat will save you from a whole host of things. Sunburn, a burnt scalp, dried out hair and heat stroke. I realised this after suffering from heat stroke in Morocco with 40+ temps on the back of a camel all day. Needless to say I was the ONLY one not wearing a hat and who consequently paid for it. Live and learn folks, live and learn.
- Sun cream – everyone knows this one! But does everyone actually use it the way they should? On a sunny holiday (and actually every other day of the year) you should ALWAYS wear sunscreen. The sun does damage that often isn’t seen until you reach your thirties. I’m talking fine lines, brown spots on the face, hyperpigmentation – it’s really not worth it. Save your skin now – prevention is always better than the cure. I love Clarins Sun Care Oil Spray SPF 30 or Ultra Sun SPF 30 for the Hands.
- Fake Tan – following the sun cream tip this is just a given. Why bake in the sun for hours clocking up years of damage when you can get the same effect safely overnight and in a bottle? For us pale skinned folks, fake tan is kind of a godsend. It’s like an Instagram filter for the whole body and totally safe. I love Tan Organic and Vita Liberata for safe, toxic-free fake tanning.
- Sun Protection for Hair – did you know that UV rays cause the same damage to hair as it does to skin? Yes your hair can age too and the sun is not nice to your tresses. Protect them with a UV spray for the hair – I love Philip Kingley’s Sun Sheild. All you need to do is spray before you head out the door and that’s it!
- Anti-Pollution Mist: If you are doing a city break as opposed to getting out into nature it’s well worth it to look into an anti-pollution mist. Huge cities like Beijing and Mumbai are UH-MAZING but if you are out on the streets all day you are bound to encounter a heavy hit of pollution on the skin. I love Ren’s Flash Defense Anti-Pollution Mist – you can carry it in your bag and spritz away as needed. It forms an invisible shield on the skin and makes defending against pollution effortless.
- Eye Mask – travelling really wears me out and nothing gives away my tiredness more than my eyes. I love an eye mask to help tackle dark circles and puffiness from jet lag. I’m a huge fan of Trish McEvoy’s Instant Solutions Triangle of Light Eye Mask. You simply apply a triangle under each eye for 5 minutes and it’s like you’ve had an extra 5 hours of sleep. Dark circles diminish, fine lines smooth away. I even use them on the plane underneath a sleeping mask – don’t worry, no one will even be able to tell!
Are you a brand and looking to work with Jamie on potential collaborations? Join the top brands already working with Jamie including L'Oreal, New Look and NARS. Get in touch today: firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't forget to check out Jamie's links below!